Seeking Cybersecurity Researchers
The Fraunhofer USA, Inc., Center for Experimental Software Engineering (CESE) (www.fc-md.umd.edu) is seeking multiple applied researchers to lead and to be members of its CyberSecurity group.
CESE is an applied research and technology transfer organization that is part of Fraunhofer USA, Inc., and is affiliated with the University of Maryland. Our CyberSecurity team uses and develops state-of-the-art tools and approaches to analyze clients’ systems for security vulnerabilities, build threat models, and design mitigations. Recent CESE-developed tools and approaches have focused on analyzing source code to help developers avoid security vulnerabilities, analyzing how hackers can compromise safety-critical medical devices such as infusion pumps, and performing reverse engineering to map security vulnerabilities onto the recovered software architecture. At CESE you will conduct research and see it applied in practice!
The responsibilities of the position include:
- Working with CESE customers (from the government, automotive, medical, and web system domains) to address their CyberSecurity needs by analyzing their systems for security vulnerabilities, building threat models, and suggesting improvements
- Contributing to the development of Fraunhofer's CyberSecurity tools, skills, and offerings
- Working with Fraunhofer staff to do business development, develop project proposals, and acquire project funding in areas related to CyberSecurity analysis tools
- Publishing research in professional venues
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Engineering, or closely related field plus 4 years of cybersecurity experience required. M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, or closely related field plus 1 year of CyberSecurity applied research experience or practical security work is preferred. Ph.D. is a plus.
- Experience with security standards, methods, and analysis tools is preferred.
- Good working knowledge of common programming languages such as C/C++ and Java.
- Technical publications, blogs, whitepapers in cybersecurity or closely related field is a plus.
- US citizen or permanent resident is preferred due to government contract requirements.
A successful candidate must also exhibit strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently as well as with a team. Excellent spoken and written communication skills are essential, as is a willingness and ability to take initiative. Experience in working with agencies of the U.S. Federal Government is desirable, as is visibility in the international CyberSecurity (or closely related field) research community.
Fraunhofer USA is a U.S. 501(c) 3, not-for-profit, applied research and technology-transfer organization. A part of Fraunhofer USA, Inc., and affiliated with the University of Maryland, College Park, CESE's vision is to accelerate economic and industrial development for its customers by using innovative model-based methods for developing and assuring complex software-intensive systems.
If interested, submit 1) your resume; 2) a cover letter showcasing your experience and communication skills; and 3) links to technical publications, blogs, or similar. Please include salary requirements. Send materials via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fraunhofer USA, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, and is a federal contractor.